Re: Test for S20 support

From: Karl Heinz Kremer (khk@khk.net)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 01:11:19 PDT

    Peter Daum <gator@cs.tu-berlin.de> said:

    > On Sat, 20 May 2000, Peter Daum wrote:

    > > I have a S20, but no other USB scanner - I can't tell whether I
    > > set things up correctly. Here's what I did:
    >
    > What I probably should have mentioned, too:
    > this is referring to sane 1.0.2
    > I am normally using kernel version 2.2.15 with the
    > "usb-2.3.47-for-2.2.14" backport. (running Linux 2.3.99-pre8
    > and/or the "alternate" uhci driver doesn't make any major
    > difference - in any case I just get a timeout).

    The 2.3.47 backport has a problem in the scanner driver. AFIK
    it only showed up with EPSON scanners, but it's certainly
    possible that it effects the HP S20 as well. The -pre8
    version however should be OK. I think Dave Nelson's updated
    driver went into -pre7. I have updated to the latest backport
    and manually added the newest scanner driver for my work
    with the EPSON backend.

    There is some USB-spy software available for Windows. This should
    get you some information about how the commands that are sent to
    the scanner look like. Unfortunately I don't remember the name
    of this package, it was however written by somebody on the linux-usb
    list.

    Karl Heinz