RE: [SLE] scanner Umax 2200 not found

From: Steve Sheriff (fsanta@arrakis.es)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 13:02:30 PDT

    > Which scsi controller do you have? The aic7xxx module works for most
    > adaptec 29xx cards and a few of others, except the 2920.
    >
    > Did you already roll your own kernel or are you using a SuSE kernel? I
    > ask because if you only need modular support the chances are that the
    > proper module is already there.
    >
    > >Or am I missing something simple here?
    >
    > Did you edit modules.conf so the scsi line reads
    > alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
    > (assuming that's the right module of course)
    >
    > Tim

    Hi Tim, Hi everyone,

    OK. I don't understand modules. So I have reluctantly put the aic7xxx in the
    kernel. (newbie misconception: it is very hard compiling the kernel, in fact
    takes less than five minutes, 'make bzlilo' and all!)

    So now have an up and running scanner.

    Positive stuff:

    1. The Adaptec 2904 works with Linux
    2. Umax 2200US works with the 2904 with Linux.
    3. I can see a preview of an image under this combination.
    4. It is very fast compared to my parallel scanner.

    Can't figure out:

    1. Where does our output go? locate out.pnm gives me nothing.
    2. I can't scan under a user other than root (permissions?)
    3. Doesn't appear under gimp (ln -s command somewhere?)

    with xscanimage I get:

    [umax] WARNING : UMAX scanner Astra 2200 version 2.1 on device /dev/sga is
    currently an unrecognised device but enquiry seems to be O.K. CONTINUE WITH
    CAUTION

    Have the latest rpm of SANE under SuSE 6.3

    Thanks for the help over the last month getting to this stage. I feel that it is
    the software that we do not understand.

    Any help to be able to get a jpg for our website would be enormously
    appreciated as it would free hda from windoze!

    Best wishes from our computer session studio weekend at FeF, Spain.