Scanner Recommendations?

From: Kurt Savegnago (ksaves2@theramp.net)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 19:59:49 PST

    Peter Ilott wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I got both the 1200 and 2200 Umaxs, and both worked great with my cheap adaptec
    > card. (about $50 US). Did not try the umax card, but with an adaptec card you
    > can attach other scsi devices at least !! It's worth t for ease of operation.
    > Both work just fine in the GIMP !!
    >
    > me@Ilott.com
    >
    > On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Steve Sheriff wrote:
    > > Hi everyone.
    > >
    > > Thank you all for contributing to such a friendly list. I now have the
    > > libraries needed to get SANE running under SuSE and have tested the software
    > > interface. Thanks to all concerned.
    > >
    > > By reading the documentation, I have narrowed our choice of scanner(s) down to
    > > Umax. There are problems however: 1. Availability in Spain, and 2. the need for
    > > a proper Adaptec SCSI card to use it under Linux. We can get HP and Epson
    > > scanners more or less on demand however.
    > >
    > > Are the Umax cards so bad that they are not workable? (a separate Adaptec card
    > > is ridiculously expensive over here. I may be able to mail order *that* item but
    > > shipping a Umax scanner is another matter I feel)
    Hi,

      Any recommendations for a scsi scanner that works with sane?
    I was able to get 1.0.2 to build on my FIC VA-503+ but of course
    I don't have a scanner connected to it yet! I couldn't get
    xsane 0.57 to build as it crapped out in one of the files with
    something about not being able to recognize a parameter in GIMP.

      I'll rebuild and copy down the exact error code but I want to get
    a scsi scanner. My machine(s) have Adaptec-2940UW cards or in the
    case of the PR-440FX Pentium Pro machine, an onboard AIC-7880.
    Is an HP 6350 worth it?

                                    Best regards,
                                    Kurt Savegnago
                                    ksaves2@theramp.net