Re: TWAIN on Unix ?

From: becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 03:16:58 PST

    HI !

    > PR >and keep woundering if it would be a good idea to adapt the TWAIN API
    > PR >as the high level API for scanners on UNIX.

    Hmm - I am not too convinced about using the TWAIN API for that purpose.

    It is interesting for using SANE on Windows and for quickly porting existing
    applications, but in that case the main porting effort will not be the
    scanning part, but the GUI stuff that makes up the rest of the application.

    Basically I would rather suggest to have a standard way for "remote-
    controlling" SANE frontends, so that an application would be able to
    spawn off any SANE frontend the user likes, tell it to set some options
    to preset values and then get back an image from the frontend - either after
    user interaction or directly.

    This is more or less what TWAIN does, but much cleaner for a Unixish
    environment. TWAIN had to use quite some ugly clutches (single entrypoint,
    piture handed back either in a large memory buffer or in a file, ...) that
    originated form the system environment it was designed to run on.

    Such a standard remote control API could then as well be exploited by a
    TWAIN layer to export a true TWAIN source on Win.

    > PR >We would only need to implement one TWAIN driver - the SANE driver,
    > PR >and a TWAIN API library to use this.

    Please all interested parties: have a look at the TWAIN specs first, then
    continue discussing it. The old discussion suffered of a lack of knowledge
    about some TWAIN specifics in some points. The specs are openly available.
    Oliver Rauch, with whom I had discussed this topic at great length before
    I stopped active participation in the SANE project, should have pointers
    and copies of old conversations.

    CU, ANdy

    --
    Andreas Beck              |  Email :  <Andreas.Beck@ggi-project.org>