Re: Getting scanner listed as a device

From: Rooster (rooster@seaforn.dircon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 07:55:54 PST

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Bart Szyszka wrote:

    > > the command
    > > find-scanner, run from root should tell you what device your scanner is
    > > connected to. I.E. /dev/sg0 or whatever device it's been assigned. After this,
    > > you want to find the config file for your scanner back-end and point it to this
    > > device. If find-scanner doesn't work, then someone else will need to explain
    > > why.
    >
    > OK, I tried running find-scanner and it doesn't seem to be finding anything.
    > Any ideas? When I was recompiling the kernel (with make xconfig), I didn't
    > see any options for setting up the scanner in there. I did setup the SCSI
    > card and when I boot to Debian Linux then it does list a Scanner as being
    > hooked up on the SCSI card (scsi0? although I don't see scsi0 under /dev).
    >
    > - Bart

            Ummm I think you must establish whether or not you have SCSI
    Genric driver compiled into the kernel. This is necessary for a lot of
    things including SANE. If you do not have any /dev/sg?? devices listed
    then either the dev files have not been created or the generic driver is
    not installed. To test this 'cat /proc/devices' should list

            21 sg

            To be sure your scanner is detected and then assigned first cat
    /proc/scsi/scsi to make sure the device is listed and then determine for
    the BUS,ID,LUN combination what sg device it ought to be (if it is the
    only SCSI device then it'll be sg0). If this device does not exist cd /dev
    ; go 'MAKEDEV sg' and then try find-scanner again.

            Just some thoughts, hope this helps.

    Rooster - A friend.

    "Anyone's friend in particular or just generally well disposed to people?"

                                                            HHGTTG.

    CUT - Campaign for Unmetered Telecomunications:
    Bring the best to all affordably. http://www.unmetered.org.uk