Re: Permissions of /dev/sg* and xsane, xscanimage (was Re: Report on , last CVS snapshot)

From: Joe Smith (jes@presto.med.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 08:10:01 PST

    Peter Hackenberg <phackenberg@aip.de> wrote: [ mod my snips ]
    > Given that under "regular" conditions, i.e. all scsi devices are
    > switched on at boot time, ... and you reboot with the scanner switched
    > off, then /dev/sg2 points to the sensitive device.
    > The "obvious" solution to give the "sensitive device" a lower scsi number
    > than the scanner is not feasible if that device must have a higher
    > priority. It also fails if you dynamically load/delete scsi devices.
    >
    > I do suggest to eliminate the /dev/scanner symlink business totally,
    > because it is not unlikely that it points to the wrong device.

    The root cause is that SCSI device names are assigned dynamically,
    which is well understood to be a Bad Thing and will go away at some
    point. Once scsi device names are based on the host.id.lun, this
    won't be a problem. Obviously, this doesn't help now.

    Also, this all goes away if you have the scanner on a separate host
    adapter, no? It seems like a waste, but there are other advantages in
    using a separate adapter, and there are inexpensive cards that are
    fast enough for use with a scanner.

    <Joe

    --
     Joe Smith