Re: HP OfficeJet support (was: Problem with SCSI Scanner on Irix 6.2)

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 12:11:48 PST

    Hi David,

    David Paschal wrote:
    > > I am currently thinking
    > > about enhancing the backend for 16bit support (there have been some
    > > patches before).
    > You mean as in 16 bits per color (16 bit grayscale, 48 bit color)?

    Yes. Some scanners support 10 or 12 bits per color component (must be
    recalculated to 16 bit for SANE)

    > Hmm, I
    > wonder if any of the OfficeJets support this high of a bit depth?

    The printouts of hpinq on your webpage are confusing me a little bit.
    They only show a depth of 1 bit. Even the 6200C. Maybe because they are
    set to b/w-mode.

    > > Should I include your sources this time ?
    > At this point, no. I'm in the midst of rewriting my I/O code to fix various
    > problems, for example, to allow for multiple devices, hook into the parallel
    > port code being developed by the Linux OfficeJet driver project
    > (http://hpoj.bstc.net), and make it more useful for additional things
    > besides scanning. However, I think I changed a few things that weren't
    > specific to OfficeJet support. I will look back over my changes, and if
    > there's anything major I'll send you a patch. (Unfortunately I never got
    > around to producing a proper patch for my last release.)

    OK. It will take some time until I start working again on the backend.

    > BTW, did you get a copy of version 11 of HP's SCL toolkit documentation?
    > They added information on the ScanJet 6300C in this version. It might be
    > worth looking over it to see if there are any interesting features in the
    > newer models like this one that need to be accommodated in the backend code.

    Yes, I picked it up from their webpage. But had no deeper look at it up
    to now.
    My next effort would be 10/12 bit support without using special
    features.

    Sincerely

    Peter

    --