Failure to recognize Microtek ScanMaker V310

From: John Anthony Kazos Jr. (jkazos@vt.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 12:58:07 PST

    I'm having a problem getting my SCSI Microtek scanner to work with sane.

    I have an APS M*Power clone with a 604e 200MHz PowerPC processor running
    LinuxPPC 5 (equivalent to Linux x86 6) with kernel 2.2.13. I have SCSI
    generic compiled in. I have a Microtek ScanMaker v310 on ID 2 on the
    main
    bus. Apple System Profiler in MacOS 8.1 sees that it's a scanner and
    gets
    some info from it, so it's not the cable. I did a "configure"-"make"-
    "make install" with sane 1.0.1 from the main U.S.A. FTP server. I am
    suspicious that it says "mesh: target 2 aborted" in the middle of
    recognizing my SCSI hard drives and CD-ROM drive. I have /dev/sg2
    dynamically linked to /dev/scanner. If I run "scanimage -L" it hangs.

    $ root@jkazos - ~/ scanimage -d microtek2:/dev/scanner > it.pnm
    scanimage: open of device microtek2:/dev/scanner failed: Error during
    device I/O

    $ root@jkazos - ~/ scanimage -d microtek:/dev/scanner > it.pnm
    scanimage: open of device microtek:/dev/scanner failed: Invalid argument

    $ root@jkazos - ~/ scanimage -d microtek2:/dev/sg2 > it.pnm
    scanimage: open of device microtek2:/dev/sg2 failed: Error during device
    I/O

    $ root@jkazos - ~/ scanimage -d microtek:/dev/sg2 > it.pnm