Re: HP OfficeJet support (was: Problem with SCSI Scanner on Irix 6.2)

From: David Paschal (paschal@ns.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 00:58:54 PST

    Hi, Peter,

    Peter Kirchgessner wrote:
    > Did not know that these type of scanners even support SCL.
    In general, the flatbed OfficeJets (1150/1170/1175, R series, PSC 500)
    support SCL and the sheetfed ones (T series, [34567]00 series) don't.

    > I am currently thinking
    > about enhancing the backend for 16bit support (there have been some
    > patches before).
    You mean as in 16 bits per color (16 bit grayscale, 48 bit color)? Hmm, I
    wonder if any of the OfficeJets support this high of a bit depth?

    > Should I include your sources this time ?
    At this point, no. I'm in the midst of rewriting my I/O code to fix various
    problems, for example, to allow for multiple devices, hook into the parallel
    port code being developed by the Linux OfficeJet driver project
    (http://hpoj.bstc.net), and make it more useful for additional things
    besides scanning. However, I think I changed a few things that weren't
    specific to OfficeJet support. I will look back over my changes, and if
    there's anything major I'll send you a patch. (Unfortunately I never got
    around to producing a proper patch for my last release.)

    BTW, did you get a copy of version 11 of HP's SCL toolkit documentation?
    They added information on the ScanJet 6300C in this version. It might be
    worth looking over it to see if there are any interesting features in the
    newer models like this one that need to be accommodated in the backend code.

    David