Re: Fix for grayscale scans with gamma < 1.0

Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:46:26 +0200

Nick Lamb wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Oliver Rauch wrote:
>
> > You can change the scanner brightness and contrast and do a new preview
> > scan and see the changes in the histogram.
> > I think about adding support for a preview scan with more than 8/24 bits/pixel> but I am not sure if that really is necessary.
>
> One thing which would be nice, and wasn't there when I last looked...
> In HP's Windows software, preview is always done in Full Color (which is
> still low-enough bit rate at preview resolution). Then it is resampled
> to match the settings chosen by the user...
>
> This means that when I realise I picked "Grey" instead of "Color", I can
> just change the setting, and the preview updates immediately. In XSane
> I must wait for another preview scan...

That has good and bad points.
The image might look a bit differnt if you convert a color image
to a gray image by software compared to a scanned gray image.

But I will add an option that lets the user selecd:
- preview in selected scan mode
- grayscale preview
- color preview

May be next month!