Re: Artec AT6 yet again

Wolfgang Goeller (wgoeller@active.ch)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:32:50 +0200

"Brian B." wrote:

> > > Attached devices:
> > > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>
> Im assuming that you are speaking of some config program from RH but I run
> debian do I doubt I would have it. So is there anyway you could tell me how to
> do it by hand Im assuming echo add-single-device 0 0 2 0 > /proc/scsi/scsi
> but Im not sure if thats right or if its even the right command string.
>
> BTW the lun switch is set to 3 on the back of my scanner. not sure if that
> makes a difference.

Well, that's a good hint - I actually don't mean any Red Heat
progs.

ID=01 means: Your scanner is still supposed to be at
lun 1.
I did not explain it very well:
ID represents what your manual regards as LUN.
Let me explain it with an example:
I've got a Phase-change-drive, this drive is jumpered to LUN 3.
But since this drive can act as CD-Reader and as PD-disk-writer
it has to "sub-luns" - 1 and 2.
So linux reports
ID 03 Lun 01 as CD-Reader
ID 03 Lun 02 as Writer

OR say you have an external SCSI-Drive-array with its own controller
that connects to your controller.
The whole bunch of disks might be say 1 - but it has several different
disks.
That might result in a report like the following:
ID 01 Lun 01 IBM disk ......
ID 01 Lun 02 Quantum disk ....

Now you have your Scanner set to ID 3
If linux does not find it there it will not work.
Might be after changing the ID you might want to
power off the Scanner and the computer.
After restarting both you should get "ID=3" for your scanner.
Unless the actual settings of the scanner and what linux finds
when reporting devices are identical, nothing will work.

The manual adding of a device is only for the case, when the
Scanner was offline (or switched off) during boot-time, then he
is not recognized by the system.

I would avoid the "add-single-device...." if ever possible.
After I'm sure everything works well I would compile the
SCSI-interface as module. Removing that module and reinstalling
it is a better way to make things work.

And: It might well make a difference, what ID your Scanner has.

When you boot your System the SCSI-Controller reports in most
cases "PRESS CTRL-A (or press CTRL-B or press CTRL-S)" for
configuration. That allows you to set some parameters for
your Controller and the way it negotiates with attached devices.

Hope I could clarify things. If not (my English is not too good)
pleas ask.

Regards
Wolfgang