Re: Artec AT6 yet again

Wolfgang Goeller (wgoeller@active.ch)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:08:51 +0200

"Brian B." wrote:

> crw------- 1 root root 21, 0 Jun 13 21:40 /dev/sg0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jun 15 17:12 /dev/scanner -> /dev/sg0

That means: only root can scan - is that really what you want??
I would prefer chmod 666 /dev/sg0 to allow ordinary users to
make scans.
BTW: I also recommend for compatibility reasons:
ln /dev/sg0 /dev/sga

> find-scanner: found scanner "ULTIMA AT6 1.01" at device /dev/sg0

Is ok no failure.

> > scanimage -h -d artec:/dev/sga
> >

> Options specific to device `artec:/dev/scanner':
> Scan Mode:
> --mode Lineart|Halftone|Gray|Color [Color]
>
> <SNIP...>

So till now everything works

> > Try xscanimage.

Nothing happend - as I suppose.

Just to be sure: Did you start X as normal user and
the su - to become root in order to get the permission to
scan? If so: After changing the permissions you can use
xscanimage as user - no need to become root.

> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
> Vendor: ULTIMA Model: AT6 Rev: 1.01
> Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> (Is that the scanners Lun or the scsi cards lun?)
Host: scsi0 -> That's your SCSI-CARD.
Id: 01 -> That's the Scanners ID - preferably don't use ID 0 or 1 -
these IDs are normally reserved for HDs. Better use ID 2 and
reboot. During reboot: If you have an Adaptec-Controller:
Go in the configuration Menu and configure your Adapter.
Probably it has ID0 and ID1 reserved for HD - this might be
the origin of Problems. The links for /dev/scanner you don*t neet
to change.

Happy scanning - it should work now. :-)

Regards
Wolfgang