Re: Sane drivers

Juha Sahakangas (juhaz@dlc.fi)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:46:10 +0200

At 15:21 16.3.1999 -0800, you wrote:

>I can field this one...Microtek cannot release any parallel port
>documentation. I've already looked into it. This is why: the EPP versions of
>the scanners are really SCSI scanners that have a parallel-to-SCSI
>conversion chip from OnSpec built-in. Microtek cannot release the specs for
>a chip that they don't make. I understand that the Linux parallel port devel
>effort is trying to put together drivers for that chip-set so until then I
>wouldn't waste any time on it. OnSpec has drivers for download for OS/2 if
>someone wants to develop something for that.

Well, you may be right, I automatically thought that as Microtek has their
own windows drivers for that OnSpec chip, OnSpec has given them the
information, but probably they at OnSpec have made an working driver and
given just that to Microtek.

Windows has "Microtek paraller port host adapter" in scsi-adapters, but if
I look at the actual driver file, it says that provider is OnSpec
Electronic, Inc. So you're righ, sorry Microtek folks.