Re: HP Photosmart R032

Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:13:41 +0100

john allen pitney wrote:

> Hello! I am a new subscriber to this mailing list, and from the looks of
> the archives, it seems to be very effective.
>
> I finally replaced the ISA PnP SCSI card which came with my HP
> Photosmart R032 with a more Linux-friendly BusLogic card, and have since
> been trying out SANE-pre1.01-3. I am able to scan slides just fine,
> with only a few odd behaviors:
>
> - The software seems to run the slide in completely, and then scan it on
> the way back out, even for previews. At higher dpi settings, it runs
> slowly in both directions, even though it's only acquiring on the way
> back out.

Hi,

I am wondering what HP has done now to the Photosmart. The behaviour
should be
that it scans during moving slides into and out of the scanner. For the
preview
it should scan while moving into. Then you should be able to select the
area
which you want to scan, then for the real scan it is moving outside.
Anything else
makes no sense.
Please try the following: Switch the scanner off and on, start
xscanimage
and immediately change the exposure time to "off". Then try to aquire a
preview
and to do a scan. Does it also scan only when moving outside ?
If so, you should try how the scanner works on Windows. For the same
behaviour
return the scanner to your dealer.

> - The vertical (y) postion of the slide seems to slip by about 1mm each
> time the slide is fed in and out. In other words, if I draw a crop box in
> the preview window, I get a same-size box in the output, but it is of
> a rectangle shifted downward in y 1mm or so. Subsequent feeds shift it
> more each time, as if the backend or the scanner are loosing track of
> where the slide is physically.

As from above I suppose that the slide is removed from the scanner
between preview and scan. So there is no possibility to get a correct
placed box.

> I am very interested in getting 10-bit support working with this scanner,
> and also possibly downloadable tone maps. I can imagine putting together
> calibration curves for various film brands (Kodak Gold 100, Fuji Reala, etc.)
> which are either downloaded as tone maps or are applied to the 10-bit data
> in software. I would be willing to help out with implementing and/or testing
> this kind of stuff. I have some experience in coding graphics routines,
> and I spent some time reading the HP SCL docs over the weekend.

Firmware version R032 seems to have no support for tone maps (at least
greyscale tonemap which are used with firmware version R029 for gamma
correction).
I can show you some places in the hp-backend where you can try to add
those code for testing. I can not test 30bit support on my own
Photosmart,
because R029 does only support 24 bit.

> Are there
> any docs from HP specific to the Photosmart?

No. And if they have documentation, it must be specific to the firmware.

> Thanks to everyone who has contributed to SANE!
>
> John Pitney

--Peter

--
Peter Kirchgessner