Re: [Fwd: HP ScanJet 5p + Linux 2.2.3 w/ sym53c416 driver]

Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:44:40 +0100

Paulo Afonso Graner Fessel wrote:

> Subject: HP ScanJet 5p + Linux 2.2.3 w/ sym53c416 driver
> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:14:10 -0300
> From: Paulo Afonso Graner Fessel <pafessel@netsol.com.br>
> To: majordomo@mostang.com
>
> HI, guys.
>
> I've set up Linux 2.2.3 with the Symbios Logic 53c416 driver for use with
> the HP ScanJet 5p scanner. After changing the scanner SCSI ID from 0 to 1,
> I've got the kernel recognising the scanner.

Hi,

thank you for that information. I suppose this will be quite interesting
for others on that list. I can not remember that someone has mentioned
this before
here.

> It reports the scanner as HP
> C5110A, with type of device marked as "processor". (?)

I have never seen anything else than 'processor' for the scanner.
So I think this is not the problem. If you are working with the
hp-backend
that comes with SANE-1.00, you should have only a single line
in your /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf-file that says /dev/sga. If you
have
a line "scsi HP" in it, remove that line completely.
Then start "scanimage -d hp" or "xscanimage hp".

> The problem is, I'm not getting SANE to work with the scanner. If I use
> xscanimage, it just displays pnm:0 and pnm:1 as the only available devices
> for scanning. And if I try to force hp:/dev/sga (where /dev/sga is the
> device being recognised by the kernel), both scanimage and xscanimage
> report "invalid parameter". These tests have been done running both
> programs as root.

If the things above did not work, did you check the acess-permissions of
/dev/sga
(even if you run them as root) ?

> I've checked up the configration files, as well ld.so.conf, and all of
> them seem ok. I've tried both compile the source and install the .rpm
> binaries, with the same disappointing results.
>
> Is there somebody in the mailing list that managed to make these HP
> Scanjets work?
>
> TIA,
> Paulo Fessel

If you have been successful in getting that backend running, you can try
to upgrade
to the current hp-backend from my homepage. This fixes the problem with
the
"scsi HP" line and some other bugs.

--Peter

--