Re: More problems with Microtek ScanMaker X6

=?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E5kan=20Kvarnstr=F6m?= (Hakan.K.Kvarnstrom@telia.se)
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:02:08 +0100

Bernd Schroeder wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 05:04:52PM +0100, Håkan Kvarnström wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I jusy bought and installed a rev. 1.20 Scanmaker X6. I am running
> > SANE on SGI hardware and the packages compiles fine. I also installed
> > the patch as described (and even patched the patch). Still, it does not
> > work
> > properly.
> >
> > These are my problems:
> >
> > 1. All scans with resolution above 190 DPI end up with a greenish tint.
> > Seems like
> > a bitplane is missing or something.
>
> What version of the backend do you use ? The one included in sane-1.00
> should not show this behaviour. A pre-0.6 version of the backend exists,
> for which some people have reported problems, that look like yours.

I do have SANE-1.0 installed. I downloaded it from the SANE
homepage just two weeks ago. I even installed the patches dated
December 98.

> > 2. Scans using 36-bit color mode termintes with the following error
> > message:
> >
> > [readimagecmd]
> > 28000000e000577a8800
> > Assertion failed: EX, file scanimage.c, line 813
> > Abort
>
> The scanner (and the backend) support scans with a color depth of more
> than 8 bit per color, but scanimage (and xscanimage, and most
> image processing programs) don't.

Ok, I see. Are there any frontends supporting 36-bit color?

> > 3. Scans are slow. Not as fast as 6.5ms/line they state in the manual, even
> >
> > though the SCSI-bus is far from beeing choked.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea of what´s wrong??
>
> If the scanhead moves back and fourth during a scan, you might consider
> to increase the 'option strip-height' in the microtek2.conf file. Otherwise
> it's probably not a problem of sane or the backend.

There are no "shoe-shining" during scans. The head moves forward,
although it is sloooow. A scan of a CD inlay at 170 DPI (24 bit) takes about
40 seconds. According to the manual, it should scan at 6.5ms/line. An inlay is
10 inch wide and occupies 1600 lines at 170 DPI. 1600 lines at 6.5 ms/line
should result in a scan time of 10400 ms (~ 10 seconds). What am I missing?

Regards,

Håkan Kvarnström