Re: find-scanner finds nothing. NOT permissions

William McVey (wam@sa.fedex.com)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:36:01 -0600

Jeff Evarts wrote:
<various parts snipped out>
>I have a UMAX Astra 1200S at /dev/sg0.
> * The OS and the BIOS both see the scanner as a generic scsi
> device at /dev/sg0
> * I have a hard (not symbolic) link from /dev/sg0 to /dev/scanner
>
>/usr/local/etc/sane.d/umax.conf contains just the line:
> /dev/scanner

I don't know much about BSD/OS, but at least under FreeBSD, listing
symlinks in the SANE config files is not sufficient. Sane uses the
cam_open_device function call, which doesn't actually use the device
file argument to open... You may want to try putting /dev/sg0 in the
config file and see if things work out better. I haven't had time to
do enough analysis of the interactions between SANE and the cam library
to determine if cam_open_device() should be "fixed" or if SANE should
be fixed by not using cam_open_device().

-- William