Re: SANE umax/NetBSD problem

Julian Coleman (J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk)
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:13:40 +0000

> Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> I am trying to use a Umax Astra 1220S on a NetBSD (1.3I, sparc)
> with SANE (1.00).
> The kernel recogizes the scanner:
> ss0 at scsibus0 targ 5 lun 0: <UMAX, Astra 1220S, V1.3> SCSI2 6/scanner fixed

The problem here is that the PiNT code built into NetBSD is finding the
scanner and attaching it (as /dev/ss0). The PiNT interface has no support
for the userland SCSI that SANE uses. To get round this, you'll need to
build a kernel without SCSI scanner support but with SCSI unknown support.
The scanner will then show up as /dev/uk0.

Who has an HP 4P on his NetBSD(1.3.2)/sparc system.

--
"Railways have always been plagued by politicians, and it is not hard to
think that Robert Stephenson had the right idea when he drove his engine