Re: Windows port

Glenn McCorkle (glennmcc@cisnet.com)
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:10:17 -0500

My question is: Why would anyone _need_ SANE for windows?
AFAIK, all scanners come with windows software. And _all_ of the new
ones come with 32bit versions for use with W95/WinNT/W98.
It seems to me that any of us who want SANE, want it for the specific
reason to get rid of windows once and for all.
Let's face it, scanning software is the last thing on the face of this
planet that we need windows for.
Myself, I've alredy deleted windows from both of my systems.
Win3.1 from the 486 and W95 from the P150. My scanner will just be
sitting here collecting dust untill I have either DOS or Linux software
to use it with.

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998 22:24:20 -0400, Roderick Klein wrote:

> Arun Tanksali wrote:

>> Hi,
>> I was wondering if somebody was working on a Win32 port of SANE. If
>> nobody is doing it, I can perhaps take it up. Or is it a SANE policy not to
> Well I don't know what the policy is of the people who realy made SANE.
> But I gues that don't realy like Windows. The last think I expect is
> that the Sane team will develop a version for win32!. But I just
> somebody how has nothing to do with SANE and just uses it under OS/2. AS
> FAR AS I know SANE is freeware and so is the code. So you should be able
> to use it under Windows. You need the collection of EMX.dll. Don't ask
> me what they do but there very important. There is a Win32 version of
> the EMX files. But I THINK (just my opion) that it won't the people very
> happy who have made SANE to see it end under Windows. But as I said that
> is just what i'm thinking.

> Greetings Roderick Klein

> Sane user under OS/2.

Glenn McCorkle mailto:glennmcc@cisnet.com
North Jackson, Ohio, USA
            Arachne, The Web Browser for DOS
   Open the 'DOOR' to the WWW. Keep the 'windows' closed.
                  http://www.naf.cz/arachne/