Re: raw parallel device Q

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:40:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Ian Grant wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>
> > Chris writes:
> > > Is it possible to give commands to a parallel device via a socket
> > > connection?
> >
> > At first glance, this sounds like it would fall under the same type of
> > system as having saned on the Win box, and using saned on your Linux box
> > handle the network protocol. However, it would need the saned on the Win
> > box to talk to the Windows scanner driver via TWAIN, and TWAIN allows the
> > scanner driver to have the GUI built into the driver.
[etc.]

> I think that what he wants is to be able to connect his scanner to his
> Linux box, run saned on that, and have a parallel port driver running on a
> windows box that feeds parallel commands sent by whatever TWAIN driver
> came with the scanner, over to the saned which works in a pass-through
> mode, sending everything straight to the scanner.

It's a nice enough idea, and there are ways to do it for serial ports
(see the LINUX MODEM SHARING MINI-HOWTO) but typically for scanning you
need to know the status of the control lines, not just the data lines, and
this is noticeably more difficult. Also, the data rate's high enough that
network latencies, delays, etc. might be enough to kill you even if the
implementation was otherwise perfect...

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

If all the muscles in your body pulled in the same direction, you
could lift over twenty tons. But you'd walk funny. - L. M. Boyd