Re: raw parallel device Q

Ian Grant (I.A.N.Grant@damtp.cam.ac.uk)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 17:28:05 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Chris writes:
> > Is it possible to give commands to a parallel device via a socket
> > connection?
> > What I was thinking is Linux box has a parallel scanner. I want to make
> > an IPC style connection to the serial device via a socket, then create a
> > "virtual" connection to that port on a M$ box that has the correct driver.
> > Since Win9X doesn't share reliably, we have put all of the shareable
> > devices on the server.
>
> At first glance, this sounds like it would fall under the same type of
> system as having saned on the Win box, and using saned on your Linux box
> handle the network protocol. However, it would need the saned on the Win
> box to talk to the Windows scanner driver via TWAIN, and TWAIN allows the
> scanner driver to have the GUI built into the driver. This would mean you
> need to be sitting at the Win box to handle the TWAIN GUI, and at that
> point you might as well scan the image under Windows and FTP it over to
> your Linux box. If saned on the Win box talked directly to the PPort, you
> would be back in the same situation as we are with SANE all over - you
> need to get the protocol from the manufacturer.

I think that what he wants is to be able to connect his scanner to his
Linux box, run saned on that, and have a parallel port driver running on a
windows box that feeds parallel commands sent by whatever TWAIN driver
came with the scanner, over to the saned which works in a pass-through
mode, sending everything straight to the scanner.

Ian