Re: /proc/scsi/scsi

Nicolas Lucas de Peslouan (nicolas@intercab.fr)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:28:21 +0200

Hi there,

Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE wrote:
> So if that works, we can enter e.g. a "UMAX" "UMAX 12-S"
> in the config-files for the backends instead of /dev/sg2
> and if you turn on your cd-burner that shifts your scanner
> from /dev/sg2 to /dev/sg3, the backend will find it automatically
> without scanning the scsi-bus for it!

As a possible extension to this, I would also be user friendly to allow
some sort of SCSI-ID reference to scanner.

I mean something in the config file that look like /dev/sga, "UMAX"
"UMAS 12-S", "0 0 5 0", and is used this way :

"Try using /dev/sga, if this fail, try finding something in
/proc/scsi/scsi that match UMAX+UMAX 12-S, if this fail, try "scsi
add-single-device 0 0 5 0" , and try again finding something in
/proc/scsi/scsi that match UMAX+UMAX 12-S. (And probably
remove-single-device at end if added at startup).

This way, one can turn the scanner on just before starting sane, really
don't care of the /dev/sg* file, and turn it off just after the work. I
know this probably only work on Linux.

On my system, this is already running as a sh script that setup the
scanner, update the conf file, launch sane and drop the scanner on exit
unless I provide a "--keep-attached" option.

Nicolas.