Re: sane 0.71 and microtek E3

William T Wilson (fluffy@dunadan.com)
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 17:15:29 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> Minor complaint: why do authors always figure we have large screens? I
> use a 14 monitor and anything larger than 800x600 is virtually
> unreadable and virtual screens are, well...I hate them. Shouldn't we all

I think you're in the minority, at least it terms of your monitor size. :)
I use 1152x864 (which is about all that my monitor & video card can manage
decently) and I still find it too cramped, although I hate virtual screens
as much as you do. I suppose we'd all benefit from 'smaller' screen
objects, as screen real estate is always valuable... but I think that no
matter how big your screen is, there's just never enough of it. :)

However, X-windows has always been designed for giant screens, 1024x768
and up. I think Linux's X servers are about the only ones that even have
modes at 800x600 and smaller.

Virtual screens CAN be made unobtrusive... for example I can pan mine
around by using alt and the arrow keys, without having a little pager
window or having the screen flop around if I bump into the side with the
pointer. It's useful when I have to put windows off-screen. (Like I
said, everyone runs out of screen space :) )

The interface thing that bugs me is how the little pop-up balloons in
xscanimage pop up and obscure the control they are supposed to be
describing, so you can't use it. I'm all for pop-up help, but it should
try to stay out of the way... :)

> So, to use this I either have to restart X in a larger screen or I have

There is a function in XFree to switch screen size on the fly, you know,
by pressing control-alt-plus and control-alt-minus (on the number pad).
However, you cannot use a screen resolution that's larger than the virtual
screen you defined in the config file. If you are using AcceleratedX,
MetroX or something, then your mileage may vary. :)