Re: SANE and Sparc

Martin Huber (hu@garfield.m.isar.de)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 22:14:57 +0100 (MET)

--Gam_of_Porpoises_780_000
Content-MD5: p9MTjsXIrxzqtYMVfIDtHw==

> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:49:16 -0600
> From: "D. Cameron Mauch" <CameronM@savvis.com>
> To: sane-devel@mostang.com
> Subject: SANE and Sparc
>
> Hello. SANE does not currently work with Sparc. I have spent a week working
with many
> different individuals on SANE with the SCG driver. It appears the SCG driver
has some
> problems. See the attached error output for more information. And the SG
driver which
> I just purchased does not seem to come with the sgdefs.h file needed by SANE
to use it.
> Any other ideas? I have already applied several patches, including the one to
the file
> include/sane/config.h.in to recognize the SCG and SG drivers. There were also
two in the
> sanei/sanei_scsi.c file (on lines 1392 and 1424).

This is not a problem of the sg drivers.
They call the kernel function scsi_transport, which passes the SCSI control
block down to the scsi interface and brings back the result.
Evidently this is incompatible with some reserved or vendor-specific
SCSI commands used by some scanners.
HP scanners use none of them, umax do, but the command could be removed
without any effect, but for microtek I did not succeed in getting rid of
it.
I sent the attached mail to the microtek backend developer, but got no
response until now.
I will contact sun if there is a solution. I don't know how to run microtek
scanners witout a modification in either the backend or the kernel code

--martin

--Gam_of_Porpoises_780_000
Content-MD5: fj3JMTd+jGIpLU3dEAP0QA==