SANE has been ported to many platforms. The following table lists the status for various platforms. A question mark indicates uncertainty about the accuracy of the information. A listed version number of an operating system or a compiler doesn't mean that other versions don't work, it's just the version that was tested.
Keeping this table up to date depends on your reporting the latest working configurations. If you have new information or corrections, please file a bug report with category "website". We are especially interested in reports about platforms not listed here or about configurations with outdated entries.
|Platform||Latest SANE version tested||Compiler||User-level SCSI support||USB support||Shared library support||Dynamic loading support||X11 clients (xscanimage and xcam)|
|AIX PPC v4.3.3||1.0.11||gcc 2.95.2||yes(?)||no||yes||yes||yes(?)|
|AIX PPC v5.1||1.0.15||xlc||yes||no||yes||yes||???|
|FreeBSD Alpha v6.0||1.0.17||gcc 3.4.4||???||???||yes||yes||???|
|FreeBSD ia64 v6.0||1.0.17||gcc 3.4.4||???||???||yes||yes||???|
|FreeBSD ix86 v5.4||1.0.17||gcc 3.4.2||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|HP-UX ia64 v11.23||1.0.17||gcc 4.0.2||???||no||yes||no||???|
|HP-UX ia64 v11.23||1.0.17||HP aC++/ANSI C B3910B A.06.05 [Jul 25 2005]||???||no||yes||no||???|
|IRIX 6.5.x||1.0.11||MIPSpro C (cc)||yes||no||yes||yes||yes|
|Linux Alpha v2.4||1.0.17||gcc 3.3.5||???||yes(?)||yes||yes||yes(?)|
|Linux ia64 v2.6||1.0.17||gcc 3.3.5||yes(?)||yes(?)||yes||yes||yes(?)|
|Linux ix86 v2.6||1.0.17||gcc 4.0.3||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Linux MIPS (big endian) v2.4||1.0.12||gcc 3.3||yes||???||yes||yes||???|
|Linux Parisc64 v2.4||1.0.13||gcc 3.0.4||???||???||yes||yes||???|
|Linux PPC v2.4||1.0.13||gcc 3.2.2||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Linux Sparc32 v2.4||1.0.9||gcc 2.96||yes||???||yes||yes||???|
|Linux Sparc64 v2.4||1.0.11||gcc 2.96||yes||???||yes||yes||yes|
|MacOS X 10.3.2||1.0.14||gcc 3.3||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|NetBSD Alpha 1.6||1.0.12||gcc 2.95.3||???||???||yes||yes||???|
|NetBSD ix86 2.0||1.0.17||gcc 3.3.3||yes(?)||yes(?)||yes||yes||yes(?)|
|NetBSD sparc 1.4T||1.0.11||egcs-1.1.2||yes||???||???||???||???|
|OpenBSD Alpha 3.2||1.0.10||gcc 2.95.3||???||???||yes||yes||???|
|OpenBSD ix86 3.5||1.0.17||gcc 2.95.3||yes(?)||yes||yes||yes||yes(?)|
|OS/2 4.5 (eComStation)(2)||1.0.16||gcc 2.8.1, 3.3.5, IBM VAC++||yes||(yes)(2)||yes||yes||yes(2)|
|Solaris-2.7 UltraSPARC||1.0.9||gcc 2.95.2||yes(?)||no||yes||yes||yes|
|Solaris Express b30 SPARC||1.0.17||cc (Sun Studio 11)||yes(?)||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Solaris 10 x86||1.0.14||gcc 2.95.3||yes(?)||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Tru64 5.1b Alpha||1.0.17||cc||???||no||yes||yes||yes(?)|
|Zeta R1 (== BeOS R6.x) ix86||1.0.15||gcc 2.95.3||yes (1)||yes (1)||yes (1)||yes (1)||no (1)|
- The platform (operating system version and machine architecture) to which the information applies.
- SANE version tested
- The latest version of SANE that has been tested on the given platform.
- The compiler that was used to build SANE.
- User-level SCSI support
- All backends that support SCSI scanners depend on user-level SCSI support. Without user-level SCSI support, these backends won't work.
- USB support
- Without USB support there is no chance to get a USB scanner to work with SANE.
- Shared library support
- With shared library support, the resulting SANE binaries are smaller. The functionality of SANE is not affected by this point.
- Dynamic loading support
- With dynamic loading support, SANE can dynamically load new backends. In other words, programs do not need to be recompiled when a new backend is installed.
- X11 clients
- Indicates whether graphical user interface applications based on X11 are available for the platform. The command line tool scanimage is always available
- 1 (BeOS)
- Links: SANE package ("BeSANE"), BeOS GUI frontend ("sanity"), another version of sanity. Zeta RC1's Service Pack 2 also includes SANE and Sanity. As of January 6, 2004, details of the Zeta build are yet to be disclosed by YellowTAB.
- 2 (OS/2)
- Links: Precompiled sane-backends and sane-frontends packages including information on how to build SANE on OS/2, TAME/2 (GUI) + USB support for SANE