"Epson and SANE/XSANE problem

From: Jean-Luc Coulon (jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 08:18:56 PDT

    I've remarked this problem when using the preview:

    If I click on "Acquire preview" then, while running, "cancel preview"
    I get the following message :
            "Backends sends more image data that it defined in parameters"

    Then, if I click again on "Acquire preview", I get the message :
            "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument"

    I cannot close xsane with the [X] button, I've to kill the task from the
    window manager. At this point, xsane is eating most of the cpu ; Only a
    "kill -s 15" is able to kill the task.

    Then if I start xsane again, it stay in the state "scanning for
    devices".

    After a while, I get:
    usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
    scanner.c: write_scanner: NAK received.

    To be able to have the system to work again, I've to do a power off/on
    of
    the scanner. Sometimes, I get:
            "scanner.c: close_scanner(0): invalid scn_minor"

    system is :
    linux 2.2.20pre (the same occurs with 2.2.19 or 2.4.6-ac).
    sane-backends-1.0.5
    xsane-0.78
    The scanner is an Epson Perfection 1640SU Photo.