Re: Nikon Coolscan SCSI commands

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 04:56:25 PDT

    andras@users.sourceforge.net said:
    > I don't think so. If proper strip film feeder functions (frame
    > selection) and decent dust removal are added to the backend, then SANE
    > will be just as good and useful as VueScan, as far as I can tell.

    VueScan does a whole pile of other things in the "front" end that make it
    a far superior solution for scanning negatives. This is a bit hard to
    separate as VueScan comes as a single program though. Things such as multiple
    pass scans, auto croping, film loading, slide and negative gamma curves
    and a whole pile more would be in a none existent Sane front end for
    film scanners.

    Basically Sane needs a slide/negative front end, and I don't see one
    in a usable state being available anytime soon. Lets face it there is
    not even one in development. While XSane is great for a desktop scanner
    for sheets of paper, photographs, you basic everyday reflective scanning,
    it is entirely unsuitable for transmission scanning of negatives and slides.

    That is no reflection on XSane as the two are entirely different
    propositions, and XSane is targeted at the more widely used reflective
    scanning market. What is needed is a XFilmSane front end.

    > In any case, there is no point giving up on the basis that there is a
    > better (commercial) alternative.

    You are of course quite right, but if it were me I would buy a copy of
    VueScan while waiting/developing a negative/slide front end for Sane.

    At the moment if you are serious about scanning negatives and slides then
    the only realistic option is VueScan.

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195