Re: Sane-Mandrake scsi timeout

From: DStevenson (tech@dgssoftware.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 14:42:05 PDT

    On Sunday 24 June 2001 07:41, DStevenson wrote:
    > On Saturday 23 June 2001 20:32, you wrote:

    > > > Dave,
    > > > Will you be able to test your problem system using
    > > > the newer sg version 3.1.19 driver that I suggested
    > > > yesterday?
    > > >
    > > > Doug Gilbert
    > > > linux sg maintainer
    > > >
    > > > --
    > >
    > > The machine in question does not yet have the kernel source code
    > > installed, so this is my first task. I have downloaded the file from the
    > > matrix, sg3117_lk241.tgz, can you confirm this is the right file for a
    > > 2.4.3-20 kernel and 6.1.8 current scsi driver.
    > >
    > > I have not yet done a kernel rebuild, so I am a bit nervous about doing
    > > it without reading some instructions first. I have a red hat book which I
    > > am studying at the moment...before trashing my system.
    > >
    > > I will let the mailing list know what happens.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Dave.
    > >
    > > --
    >
    > Having read about kernels etc, I am now even more wary about compiling the
    > module. Where do I untar the files from the sg site? Do I re-compile the
    > kernel? How do I compile the module and then use it. I have seen commands
    > like insmod, do I have to use these.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated as I am now even more confused...but willing
    > to give it a go!!!
    >
    > Dave,

    Just to update you on the problem I am having with the HP5 and Adaptec scsi
    card.

    I have just installed the latest pre 1.0.5 sane front/back ends. Also, I
    have loaded the SG files into the /usr/src/linux tree. I then did the
    folowing, which I am not sure is correct, but form the info i've read
    seemed OK.

    cd /usr/src/linux
    make modules modules_install (this took a few hours, I run it overnight)

    There were no errors displayed. I then rebooted the machine with 'shutdown
    -r now'.

    On reboot, in console mode, I did,

    lsmod ( which showed the aic7xxx module installed but not the sg )
    rmmod aic7xxx
    insmod sg (this then displayed the scsi card paramaters and then showed the
    HP5 details
         with no errors )
    scanimage -T ( the scanner started thru its test and then stalled, ten or
    so minutes later
         returned the I/O error )

    lsmod ( showed that the aic7xxx and sg modules are now both listed in the
    scsi_mod module )

    I hope this makes sense as I am sending this from memory, I did the test
    this morning before work.

    Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this problem.

    Dave