Mustek 1200ub on FreeBSD (Second Mail)

From: Jeffrey Eugene Crawford (jeffrey.crawford@nexgo.de)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 10:19:40 PDT

    Hello everyone,

        I've sent this mail once before but that was just before the IP
    address change and may have gotten lost. I was wondering if someone
    could take a look at what I've done so far, and give some advice. I must
    admit I don't know the details of the usb interface on FreeBSD so This
    problem might not be with the SANE driver. The original message is as
    follows:

        I'm trying to get my Mustek 1200ub USB scanner running on my FreeBSD

    installation. The first obstacle I've had was to get my scanner away
    from being "/dev/ugen0" to "/dev/uscanner0" In order to do this I had to

    go into the "uscanner.c" file and change the entry:

    { USB_VENDOR_NATIONAL, USB_PRODUCT_MUSTEK_1200UB },

    { USB_VENDOR_MUSTEK, USB_PRODUCT_MUSTEK_1200UB },

    This provided me with the correct device:

    > dmesg | egrep scanner
    uscanner0: Mustek Systems, Inc. 1200 UB scanner, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2

    I had used the source code from Mustek's ftp site and compiled it
    manually, and installed it. I did not provided the "./configure" script
    with any options. After the installation I have updated the following
    files to read...

    ...sane.d/dll.conf:
    1200ub

    ...sane.d/1200ub.conf:
    /dev/uscanner0

    Unfortunately I can't find a "sane-1200ub" manpage to see if there are
    any other options.

    running "usbdevs" I get:
    addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
     addr 2: 1200 UB scanner, Mustek Systems, Inc.

    and then running "scanimage -L" I get :
    entering sane_get_devices.
    attached /dev/uscanner0
    device `1200ub:/dev/uscanner0' is a 1200 UB flatbed scanner
    scanimage in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense.

    The above warning message about the "free" function having a pointer
    that is too high to make sense is the only negative message that I get.
    However when trying to test the scanner or even use it with either
    commands "scanimage -T", or "xscanimage", the little light on the
    scanner comes on and then the program hangs at the command prompt. No
    error messages or core dumps, just sits and does nothing.

    Please note that the scanner works in Linux doing nearly the exact same
    installation, the only exception is that "xscanimage" is installed as a
    Gimp plugin, however the "xscanimage" does work by itself. I'm not sure
    if the problem lies with FreeBSD's USB scanner driver or with the driver

    by Mustek. Has anyone examined the code and found anything that is Linux

    specific? And can hopefully be changed. It really appears that the
    scanning program is trying to work. Even the indicator light turns on.
    Unfortunately that is the last reaction when I attempt any scanning. As
    always please let me know if you need any more information. I would like

    to get this thing working for FreeBSD.

    Thanks
        Jeffrey