Re: Fwd: Re: Hi -- USB UMAX Astra 2200 question

From: Derek Martin (ddm@pizzashack.org)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 20:31:22 PDT

    On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 04:50:41PM +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:

    > oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de said:
    > > the source of these rumours is me. I do not know if this works. I see
    > > a small chance and it would be interesting if someone would test it.
    >
    > I though I was the source of those rummors. At least the comments on my
    > web page are just based on the observation that the scanner has both
    > USB and SCSI interfaces.

    So far I haven't had any luck...

    > Getting back to the original post, they say that the scanner driver is
    > recognising the scanner and returns a vendor:product id.

    Hmm.... well, it turns out that it was only doing this because I fed
    it an options line in /etc/modules.conf with those items. When I took
    it out, it didn't report anything.

    These are the kernel messages logged by the drivers:

      usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1060, IRQ 5
      usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
      usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
      hub.c: USB hub found
      hub.c: 2 ports detected
      usb-uhci.c: v1.251 Georg Acher, Deti Fliegl, Thomas Sailer, Roman Weissgaerber
      usb-uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
      hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
      usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x1606/0x230) is not claimed by any active driver.

    Of course, the scanner module has not been loaded at that point...
    But then when I load it, I only get this:

      usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
      scanner.c: USB Scanner support registered.

    Nothing about my scanner hardware. And lsmod gives this:

      # lsmod
      Module Size Used by
      scanner 6464 0 (unused)
      autofs4 9344 1 (autoclean)
      usbcore 49424 1 [scanner]
      unix 14944 19 (autoclean)

    Notice that the scanner module is unused. :(

    > I suspect there is a problem with device files and the umax.conf file.
    > Check that /dev/usbscanner0 exists and if not create with

    The device files all existed (after I created them the first time) and
    have the correct major and minor numbers. They were originally set
    600, but I fixed that. No help.

    I'm wondering also if this couldn't be an IRQ thing... My laptop has
    THREE devices on IRQ 5: the usb bus, the crappy winmodem (which I
    don't have a driver for), and the maestro sound card.

    I'm going to try compiling the drivers in and see if that makes a
    difference.