Re: xsane requests username and password after saned has exited

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 08:59:25 PDT

    Ben Stanley wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been using the 2001-05-30 CVS version of sane-backends for a
    > little while now, and I am much happier with it than I was with
    > sane-backends 1.0.4 :-).
    >
    > But, when I use gimp and xsane (0.77) together, I often find that I scan
    > an image and then take a little while to process it. In that time, saned
    > stops running. Then, when I return to xsane and even try to quit, it
    > tells me that saned wants a username and password. It is impossible to
    > bypass this dialog without killing xsane. :-( This is more serious if
    > you are running xsane under gimp.
    >
    > Any ideas what's going on here? I haven't poked in the source code for
    > this one yet.
    >
    > Ben.

    Hi Ben,

    that is a problem of sane-net/saned and not of xsane.
    The problem is in fact that saned exits when there is no
    communication for some time.

    We did not decide how to solve this.
    In the moment you only can change this by changing a backend
    option every few minutes.

    I hoped we would get a patch for this in sane-1.0.5 but it
    does look this did not happen.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --