xsane requests username and password after saned has exited

From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 07:50:23 PDT

    I have been using the 2001-05-30 CVS version of sane-backends for a
    little while now, and I am much happier with it than I was with
    sane-backends 1.0.4 :-).

    But, when I use gimp and xsane (0.77) together, I often find that I scan
    an image and then take a little while to process it. In that time, saned
    stops running. Then, when I return to xsane and even try to quit, it
    tells me that saned wants a username and password. It is impossible to
    bypass this dialog without killing xsane. :-( This is more serious if
    you are running xsane under gimp.

    Any ideas what's going on here? I haven't poked in the source code for
    this one yet.

    Ben.