Re: Xsane - winsane? was Re: saned won't run under inetd

From: Paul Nixon (pnixon18@home.com)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 09:00:02 PDT

    Many thanks for the details Henning. I'm getting very close to fixing this.

    After reading what you posted about other sane files I did some checking.
    I've got remnants from at least 3 versions of Sane installed on my system
    (Sane-1.0.1, Sane-1.0.3, and Sane-1.0.4). My /usr/local/lib/sane directory
    has entries such as:

    libsane-snapscan.so -> libsane-snapscan.so.1.0.4
    libsane-snapscan.so.1 -> libsane-snapscan.so.1.0.1
    libsane-snapscan.so.1.0.3

    So it seems my first order or business is to uninstall all previous versions
    of sane. Is there a preferred method for that?

    The link to v4l is caused by running ldconfig!

    libsane.so.1 -> libsane-snapscan.so.1.0.4 was necessary for the moment but
    will go away. By creating this link, xscanimage and xsane were then able to
    find the scanner. I believe this probably has to do with the older versions
    of sane installed.

    libsane.so.1 -> libsane-dll.so.1.0.4 is how it is linked at present. This
    causes both xscanimage and xsane to bring up a list of scanners to choose
    from (the same scanners scanimage -L found). Using usb /dev/usb/scanner0,
    xsane is unable to produce a color preview and xscanimage coredumps
    attempting the preview. However, xscanimage *can* and *does* now produce a
    color image correctly.

    So I am very close to resolving this all, I think. Again, many thanks for
    the detailed input. Wish me luck!

    All the best,
    Paul