Re: saned won't run under inetd

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (henning@meier-geinitz.de)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 10:50:33 PDT

    On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 01:39:32PM +0200, Morten Sickel wrote:
    > I have just installed sane 1.0.4 on a HP 712 running HP-UX 10.20. If works
    > just fine

    Does dynamic loading of the SANE libraries work? I'm asking because we
    have an entry on http://panda.mostang.com/sane/sane-support.html
    indicating dynamic loading isn't working. Any problems with
    compilation? Which compiler was used?

    > used locally, but my goal is to use the box as a scanning server
    > for a few PCs running WIN NT / 98. Enter xsane win. As a few persons earlier
    > have complained about, I can start /usr/local/sbin/saned from the command
    > prompt and scan just fine form the PC (wow, that is really great!!) but if I
    > try to start saned from inetd, xsane comes up, scans for devices and just
    > dies with a segfault.

    I don't know why this happens. Petter and me fixed some possible bugs
    concerning networking in the last week but I don't know if this is
    related. There is a current CVS snapshot at
    http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/sane-cvs-2001-05-10.tar.gz if you
    like to test.

    > I have not found any traces anywhere of what is going on, how can I increase
    > the debuglevel when running saned from inetd?

    Yes. I use a shell script for that. Use the path to the shell script
    in /etc/inetd.conf instead of saned. E.g.:

    #!/bin/sh
    SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=2
    export SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK
    /usr/local/sbin/saned

    The output will go to syslog.

    I don't know how to debug errors when inetd is used. Can gdb or strace
    be used? How?

    > As far as I can see from the documentation, I should use
    > xsane net:server:hp:/dev/scanner, but I could not make it work without
    > removing net:..
    > Is it just my ignorance or is it an error in the docs?

    No, that's correct. E.g. the following works for me:

    scanimage -d net:localhost:pnm:0 --filename=/home/hmg/rgb.pnm -T

    This is different if you link the net backend directly to xsane and
    don't use the dll backend at all. In this case server:hp:/dev/scanner
    would be ok.

    Bye,
      Henning