saned won't run under inetd

From: Morten Sickel (Morten.Sickel@nrpa.no)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 04:39:32 PDT

    As far as I can see, this is more or less a FAQ, but without any matching
    FGA (Frequently given answer)

    I have just installed sane 1.0.4 on a HP 712 running HP-UX 10.20. If works
    just fine used locally, but my goal is to use the box as a scanning server
    for a few PCs running WIN NT / 98. Enter xsane win. As a few persons earlier
    have complained about, I can start /usr/local/sbin/saned from the command
    prompt and scan just fine form the PC (wow, that is really great!!) but if I
    try to start saned from inetd, xsane comes up, scans for devices and just
    dies with a segfault.

    From my /etc/services:
    sane 6566/tcp # SANE network scanner daemon

    from my /etc/inetd.conf
    sane stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/saned saned

    (I am running saned as root to eliminate access problems during debugging)

    my /usr/local/etc/saned/saned.conf contains
    +
    (And since I can scan when starting saned from the command line, that is not
    the problem...)

    I have not found any traces anywhere of what is going on, how can I increase
    the debuglevel when running saned from inetd?

    Two other issues I figured out:

    I have installed cdcreator on the HP-box, that has a MKNOD script that names
    the nodes along the line /dev/rscsi/c1t2d0 rather than /dev/rscsi/c1t2d0 as
    sane wants.

    As far as I can see from the documentation, I should use
    xsane net:server:hp:/dev/scanner, but I could not make it work without
    removing net:..
    Is it just my ignorance or is it an error in the docs?

    Regards and thanks to the developers for a really great piece of software!

    Morten Sickel
    Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority