Re: Memory on scaning.

From: Peter Kirchgessner (peter@kirchgessner.net)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 13:56:09 PDT

    Hello Brian,

    the hp-backend does not store the image in memory unless you select the
    option "mirror-vertical". You can watch the memory use running xosview
    during a scan. If you are not getting too deep into swap space, you are
    not running out of memory.
    If a scan dies, it could also be a problem with the SCSI-card or
    connection. The cards delivered with the HP scanners seem not to work
    very good under Linux.

    --Peter

    Brian Schramm wrote:

    > I know that my machine is old and I am pushing it but I am just wondering if
    > this is a problem because of a lack of memory.
    >
    > First the machine:
    > Pentiom 133 with 80 meg of ram
    > SCSI hard drives and IDE Hard Drives
    > Debian Potato with Helix Gnome and KDE 2.1
    > HP scanjet 5p scsi
    >
    > Now for the problem:
    >
    > If I try to scan a page in GUI mode using scanimage or xsane the scanner die
    > mid scan. If I get rid of the gui I can use scanimage to do a scan. But I
    > still cannot use xerox to do a copy.
    >
    > This appears to be a lack of memory but I just want to be sure. I am
    > upgrading machines so I will have more memory but I want to make sure that the
    > upgrade will fix my problems..
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > --