Re: Twain interface

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 15:12:54 PDT

    On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 11:18:59AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
    > Gosh, it would be nice if someone wrote a twain *front*end for SANE.
    > We really need to get the scanner manufactures on board to write
    > data sources for this, though. the TWAIN API is waiting for the scanner
    > vendors, and the scanner vendors are waiting for TWAIN. And of course
    > the applications are waiting for the TWAIN API...

    I'm not sure how many applications are waiting for TWAIN (you mean on
    Unix, right?) -- after all TWAIN will give them a comparatively feeble
    interface not tailored to their problem. An OCR app and a Photo Album
    manager don't care about too many of the same things, and SANE lets
    them each build a UI which is appropriate to their application and
    integrates with it nicely.

    I suppose that TWAIN integration would have simplicity on its side,
    or might do, in theory.

    Neither GNOME nor KDE will take kindly to being told that their apps
    should conjure up a foreign UI to access scanners, not least because
    it goes against basic design sense.

    Your other point (sorry, I deleted it before I wrote this far) is
    very timely because the mist in my crystal ball is starting to clear.
    I will mail you specifically if time frees up enough to write some more
    concrete stuff for SANE 2.0

    Nick.