Re: Twain interface

From: Nigel Feltham (nigel.feltham@libertysurf.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 12:16:51 PDT

    On Monday 16 April 2001 19:18, you wrote:
    > nigel.feltham@libertysurf.co.uk said:
    > > Has anyone thought of the possibility of adding a twain backend to
    > > sane
    >
    > Gosh, it would be nice if someone wrote a twain *front*end for SANE.
    > We really need to get the scanner manufactures on board to write
    > data sources for this, though. the TWAIN API is waiting for the scanner
    > vendors, and the scanner vendors are waiting for TWAIN. And of course
    > the applications are waiting for the TWAIN API...

    I was thinking more of the ability to use existing windows twain data sources
    with Linux SANE applications - if this could be achieved then nobody will
    need to write Linux specific data sources, although using proper SANE data
    sources would still be preferable for some scanners.

    Some SCSI scanners can already be used under WINE running windows twain
    applications using an emulated ASPI layer and Printer port scanners work by
    allowing SANE to allow windows apps to directly access printer port - if this
    can be made to work for USB as well and a SANE wrapper could be written to
    appear to the Linux Frontend as a normal SANE device and to the Windows Twain
    driver as a Standard Windows Twain application then the only difference to
    the user between a true SANE backend and a windows Driver using the SANE
    wrapper would be having 2 dialogs displayed (the SANE scan dialog and the
    TWAIN scan dialog) but many windows twain drivers can have their scan dialog
    bypassed.

    I hope this clarifies the situation,
    Nigel