Re: problems with sysconfdir

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 03:11:04 PDT

    On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:38:19AM +0200, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
    >
    > > I tried this and can *not* reproduce it at least with the current CVS.
    > > The directory is created (/etc/sane.d) and the files are copied into
    > > it. The backends access /etc/saned./backend.conf. By the way, you can
    >
    > Yes the files are copied into it here as well, but scanimage or
    > xsane then try to access the wrong dir.

    Strange. However I don't think scanimage or xsane have anything to do
    with it. They don't access these files at all, this is done by the
    backends.

    I tried again with 1.0.4:
    ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc
    make
    sudo make install
    strace xsane 2>/tmp/strace.log
    grep "sane\.d" /tmp/strace.log
    open("/etc/sane.d/dll.conf", O_RDONLY) = 4
    open("/etc/sane.d/dll.aliases", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
    open("/etc/sane.d/v4l.conf", O_RDONLY) = 7
    open("/etc/sane.d/umax.conf", O_RDONLY) = 8
    [...]
    open("/etc/sane.d/net.conf", O_RDONLY) = 34

    No access to /etc/sane.d/sane.d or something like that.

    > I do not have backend.conf, where does it come from, do I have to
    > create it myself?

    No, this was an example e.g. for mustek.conf or any other *.conf file.

    > > tree. Try "make distclean" and try again. Or maybe you set the
    > > environment variable SANE_CONFIG_DIR somwhere to a wrong value.
    >
    > No, I do not have any *SANE_* variables set, and I tried make
    > distclean already yesterday.

    Are you sure that you don't have an old version of the sane libraries
    (maybe with sysconfigdir=/etc/sane.d/) installed somewhere on the system and
    that one is used when starting scanimage? I can't imagine why this
    should work for me and not for you.

    > For now I take Olivers "hack", and link everything from /etc/sane.d/
    > to /etc/sane.d/sane.d/, that seems to work. But if someone has
    > another bright idea, I am willing to try...

    Instead of this you could also use an export SANE_CONFIG_DIR=/etc/sane.d
    somewhere in your start-up files.

    Bye,
      Henning