[dev] Status of NS LM983x USB support (e.g. Bearpaw, Canon 650U, Plustek OpticPro U12)

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2001 - 06:23:41 PDT

    I just wanted to ask everyone who worked on drivers or other programs
    for LM983x based scanners what's the status of this work. I had quite
    a lot of questions about these scanners and some people offered help.
    If I remeber correctly, there is even a CVS repository for some code.

    Should we set up a page summarizing the available docs and the code
    that was written until now? I could do that. Maybe a mailing list
    would be nice? If there are some people willing to write code, maybe a
    sourceforge account would be appropriate (including mailing list and
    CVS)?

    The idea was to write one backend for all the 983x (x=1 + 2) based
    scanners and just add the different settings of each scanner (e.g. RAM
    size, detector type, buttons) to some sort of ini file or some
    constants in the code. My suggestion is to add a file
    sanei/sanei_lm983x.c (or similar) to include the low level read and
    write functions for the chip.

    I will probably have some time in the next weeks (or weekends) to
    write some code and do testing. In the last months I haven't done
    much, my test program can be found on http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/download.html
    however. I myself own a Mustek BearPaw 1200 and 2400.

    There is a lot of documentation about the chip set and we have even
    source code for Windows drivers so it should be possible to write a
    SANE backend, it's just a lot of work.

    Comments?

    Bye,
      Henning