Epson Timeout with 1240U PROBLEM

From: Leo McManus (leomcmanusir@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 14:04:08 PDT

    Running SuSE 7.1 on 800MHz with 750Mb.

    Can see my can my Epson 1240U scanner with USBVIEW and in PROC 'directory'.

    Have loaded my scanner.o with:

    insmod scanner product=0x10b vendor=0x4b8

    After do an LSMOD:

    usbcore 46480 3 [scanner usb-uhci]
    scanner 5952 1
    usb-uhci 21712 0 (unused)

    Am using:

     rpm -q xsane
    xsane-0.70-0

    and:

    rpm -q sane
    sane-1.0.4-3

    When I run xsane In my xconsole I get many of the following:

    Apr 4 00:03:33 linux kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
    Apr 4 00:03:33 linux kernel: scanner.c: read_scanner(0): excessive NAK's
    received

    My /etc/sane.d/epson.conf only has:

    option connect-device
    usb /dev/scanner0

    I have not recompiled my kernel to include any modifications. I have downloaded
    the latest libsane-epson.so.1.0.4 and placed it in:

    /usr/lib/sane

    What am I missing!! Will start again, but follow which seup, I have examined
    many of them and they point to many directories that do not exist on SuSE, E.G.
    /usr/local/etc/sane.

    NOTE: while compiling this MSG and testing all the setting I now get xsane to
    report no devices available...is this progress?

    Thanks for any help.

    Leo