8x14 Scanners?

From: Jérôme Loisel (jerome@levinux.org)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 20:11:29 PDT

    Hi folks!

    First, I would likt to thank all SANE hackers. Scanner support is indeed
    important and I very much appreciate the fact that you guys are bringing it
    to GNU/Linux. Thanks!

    I am looking to buy a cheap (<US$200) 8x14 scanner. They are a bit hard to
    find, but what makes this a real headache is Linux support. Can anyone give
    me some advice?

    For example the Microtek ScanMaker V6 UPL is really cheap and available
    everywhere, but from what I can read on the webpages, it seems unsupported.
    (Or is it?) The Umax Astra 4000U is available fo $175 at Amazon, but also
    seems unsupported... The Astra 2400S looks supported, but is borderline in
    price ($199) from the company and AFAICS unavailable from discount places
    like BestBuy and Amazon...

    Anyone know more about this? ...And just in case, are there any 8x14-specific
    issues in SANE? I suppose not, but I was wondering still.

    Thank you very much in advance for any information you can provide. Cheers!

    Jérôme Loisel

    --
    Jérôme Loisel, étudiant et webmestre
    Lévinux: GNU/Linux pour la communauté