Re: Fujitsu fi-4750C Backend Project

From: Randolph Bentson (bentson@grieg.holmsjoen.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 13:16:19 PST

    On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 11:32:28AM -0600, Davis, Tom wrote:
    > Which brings up a general question... Since most of the Fujitsu scanners
    > that I have been exposed to in the past have very similar SCSI command sets,
    > shouldn't we try to merge the functionality of the "sp15c", m3096g", "m3091"
    > (re: post by Frederik Ramm), and whatever I produce for the "fi-4750C".

    When I wrote the drivers for the m3096g and sp15c, I didn't want to break
    one working driver by adding code for the other scanner. That was the
    sole basis for having two drivers.

    The two scanners have different firmware, and thus have slightly different
    command sets. Nevertheless, it seems a very good idea to merge the two
    code bodies because of the amount of common code. That was my intent,
    but alas, other things grabbed my attention.

    I would welcome the effort by someone to do the dirty work, and
    since I have both of the original scanners at hand, can help with
    testing.

    --
    Randolph Bentson
    bentson@holmsjoen.com