RE: Fujitsu fi-4750C Backend Project

From: Davis, Tom (Tom.Davis@minolta-qms.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 12:15:01 PST

    Frederik,

    I am currently studying the SANE API, so I don't know SANE well yet. I
    understand what the problem is, but need to get a little further before I
    know how it might be handled. I can't really contribute to the conversation
    until I get a little further in study.

    I did something similar in a pSOS environment a few years ago where I wrote
    a driver that supported multiple Fujitsu scanners. The sets of allowable
    resolutions, color depths, etc. were simply keyed off the Vendor and Model
    strings that ultimately come from the SCSI Inquiry command. This info was
    stored in the SCSI low-level (chip level)driver after the inquiry and could
    be handed back to the higher layers when asked for. In this case, I would
    expect the SANE backend for Fujitsu scanners to parse the Vendor:Model
    strings and then hand back capabilities info from an internally stored
    scanner specific set that matches. I would try very hard NOT to use
    #ifdef's. Instead I would try to add small amount of switch() logic with
    cases for each supported scanner. Should have minimal performance impact.

    NOTE: Just received Oliver Rauch email with duplex suggestion... seems at
    first like the proper approach. I'll just follow the thread until I know
    more...

    Thanks for your comments,
    Tom Davis