RE: Getting compressed B/W image data from Fujitsu M3096GXm scann er

From: Armistead, Jason (armistej@oeca.otis.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 17:11:56 PST

    Thanks to Nick and Abel for explaining some background to me.

    While I agree that the use of parallel port and USB scanners is important to
    the "low-end" Linux home users, of which there are clearly a large number
    enjoying their membership of the "GNU generation", I think there is a
    compelling argument for supporting the departmental and high-end SCSI
    scanners as used by corporate users too.

    More and more the press is focussed on the transition of Linux from a
    backyard hobbyist toy into serious corporate datacentre application.
    Nowadays, Linux receives very positive press regarding its ability to fulfil
    all sorts of corporate roles, besides just being a cute and cheap system
    running the Apache web server. The "big iron" hardware manufacturers like
    IBM and Compaq, and major software vendors like Oracle are taking Linux
    seriously enough to devote resources to Linux product development.

    Where scanning is concerned, SANE is really *THE* enabling technology for
    Linux (and a number of other Unixes too). The commercial offerings are few
    and far between.

    Rather than putting our heads in the sand and pretending the more "serious"
    scanners don't exist, at the very least we should work to ensure that there
    is room to grow SANE to support them. If that means some tweaks to the
    interface are required, then we need to consider that on its merits. If it
    doesn't affect 95% of SANE's users, but can be implemented without breaking
    any functionality, then we should consider doing it.

    I'm not suggesting that hundreds of people rush to support the needs of just
    a few "high end" users - I'm prepared to do my part to support the effort so
    that all can enjoy the benefits.

    Just for a moment, imagine if Linus had limited Linux to running on 286
    architecture using ST-506 MFM hard drives with no more than 20Mb capacity
    and EGA monitors ...

    If SANE is going to be stagnate, we might as well re-name it to "in-SANE !",
    or "mun-DANE" or "down-the-DRAIN".

    My $0.02

    Jason