Re: Getting compressed B/W image data from Fujitsu M3096GXm scann er

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 16:40:18 PST

    On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 11:12:21PM +0100, abel deuring wrote:
    > in July or August 1999 was a larger discussion on the Sane mailing list
    > about a new version of the Sane standard, including the question about
    > more data formats. Technically quite interesting, I think. Unfortunately
    > the debate ended up in some not very polite arguments. Since this time,
    > nobody dared to pick up the topic again.

    While it's a convenient excuse that I killed this discussion because
    my arguments about the technical content were too much, I think it's
    more the case that 99% of list members neither know about nor care about
    this stuff. They're mostly looking for simple scanner support for
    ~$100 scanners which will get their photos or documents into Linux.

    We get two or three people a year looking for G3 or JPEG in SANE, versus
    two a week wanting support for obscure $50 parport scanners. The result
    is that not a lot of work is getting done on SANE 2.0, although I did
    finally complete my transfer mini-thesis so I might have more time now.

    Nick.