SANE on Solaris 7 Sparc - please help!

From: John Craig (jcraig@agen.ufl.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 01 2001 - 17:24:27 PST

    Still stumped by preview problems. Could anyone who uses Solaris 7 Sparc
    answer a few question?

    Scanning seems to work fine, locally, or through the net, using either
    xscanimage or Xsane, it also works as a Gimp plug-in, scanning directly into a
    Gimp image window. However, when you attempt to preview, the program will
    crash immediately upon completion of the preview pass. This is true with both
    xscanimage and xsane, scanning locally or thought the net, as root, or as a
    user.

    The same scanner works on a Linux box without problem, locally, and as a
    network server. Why don't I keep it on the Linux box? Because it dual boots
    Windows, and the Windows users keep it busy most of the time. They never
    touch the Solaris system.

    Anyway, I am trying to see what's different between the two systems to figure
    out why the Solaris setup won't preview. Here are some question:

    1) On the Linux box, the sane libraries and frontends installed with owner
    root, group root. On the Sun box, they installed with owner root, group other.
    Is this a normal difference? Any suggestion about how to set owner and group?
    I tried just resetting group to root and it didn't help.

    2) On the Linux box, preview images are saved in the user's .sane directory.
    On the Sun, a .sane directory is created when xscanimage is first used, and
    the preview images never show up. I guess this just means it never
    successfully previews, which is the problem. What's normal on a Solaris box?

    3) There is a difference in behaviour when logged in as a user, scanning
    through the net backend (through localhost) works, but scanning throught the
    snapscan backend directly doesn't work (permission denied), whereas root can
    scan with either the snapscan backend or the net backend. Can't figure out
    why, since all the sane-related files I can find can be read and/or executed
    by world. A bit of information that might help is that with debug-sanei-scsi
    enabled, sanei reports that premission to open the generic device driver
    /dev/scg0 fails (access denied), whereas, root can do it no problem. This may
    be a good thing.

    Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.

    John