Re: Setting up HP ScanJet 5P on Solaris 8 SPARC

From: Gregory Gulik (greg@gulik.org)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 12:30:22 PST

    Peter Kirchgessner wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > did you check the r/w-permissions of the device where the links are
    > pointing to ?
    > How about starting scanimage with -d hp:/dev/sg/10 ?

    I did check the permissions on the device. I do run xvscan as
    a regular user and it's not setuid or anything. The permissions
    on the device right now are 666.

    I did try the -d hp:/dev/sg/10 just now and it says:
    scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/sg/10 failed: Invalid argument

    I also tried it as root to make sure it's not a permissions
    issue and it returned the same error.

    I did also check to see what /dev/sg/10 points to and that looks ok:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 48 Nov 28 11:34 /dev/sg/10 ->
    ../../devices/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1,1/sg@2,0:raw

    xvscan uses /dev/scanjet which is a symlink to /dev/sg/10

    --
    Gregory Gulik                        NEW!  http://www.drivingevents.com/
    greg@gulik.org or greg@gagme.com           http://www.gagme.com/~greg/