Re: Problem with kernel 2.4ac9, ava1505, snapscan1236s, sane1.0.4

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 10:27:29 PST

    On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 06:59:58PM +0100, abel deuring wrote:
    > wait_scanner_ready is one of the functions of the backend using the
    > REQUEST SENSE command (probably the most important):

    Just to add one more data point: The Mustek backend also uses request
    sense directly (for the Paragon Pro scanners). It's issued in a loop
    after the scan has finished until the scan slider has moved back.
    That's the way the Windows driver does it (as far as I can see) and it
    seems to work at least with the controllers I tried. If I remove the
    explicit call, the scanner blocks immediately. If I remove the SCSI
    driver module in this case and turn off the scanner --> kernel oops.
    The only way to recover is to wait for the SCSI timeout (10 minutes)
    and don't touch anything or just reboot immediately. The same happens
    if I use test unit ready instead. So at the moment I don't know how to
    circumvent the direct calls to request sense.

    Bye,
      Henning