XFreeze w/ gimp-plugin xscanimage

From: Enno (a9107110@unet.univie.ac.at)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 12:04:08 PST

    1st of all i want to apologize for the not-so informative subject on my
    first postings.
    Meanwhile i've got some things running, had 2 successful scans w/
    xscanimage from the commandline with my Umax Astra 1200S.
    Then, following the instructions in xscanimage(1) about running
    xscanimage as gimp-plugin, symlinking the binary to my
    ~/.gimp-1.1/plug-ins, no success, gimp said 'no device configured' or
    similar. Then, symlinking in /usr/share/gimp/1.1/plug-ins/ and starting
    the gimp, my X froze. I remember to have read something somewhere about
    precautions to take to avoid this, but i haven't found it again.

    Is this a gimp question or a sane question?

    Brgds & thx to Oliver for his tip (scanimage -T), which showed me, that
    it must work some way!

    C ya, enno.